Top 38 Foods that Burn Belly Fat Naturally
Published on Jun 13, 2022
By Dr. Surya Bhagwati
Chief In- House Doctor
BAMS, DHA, DHHCM, DHBTC | 30+ Years of Experience
Trying to burn belly fat is one of the most challenging weight loss activities. This is where eating foods that burn belly fat come in.
Weight loss can be challenging, more so when we are talking about belly fat. Fortunately, there’s a lot of information out there about the best ways to burn off excess fat from the abdominal area.
Eating healthy foods by following the best diet to lose belly fat has worked for millions around the world.
Ayurveda to reduce belly fat has also helped promote natural weight loss for centuries.
Most blogs online on foods that burn belly fat just provide a list of foods to eat and avoid. But, this article will explore a holistic lifestyle for weight loss and weight management.
We will delve into the Ayurvedic perspective on weight loss through the three pillars of Ayurveda, Aahar, Vihaar, & Chikitsa.
In this article:
So, without further ado, let’s jump into the first chapter that explains the causes of abdominal weight gain.
Chapter 1: Types & Causes of Belly Fat
There are several reasons why you may have gained weight. It may be that you lead a sedentary life without much exercise. You may be eating an unhealthy diet and even stress-eating.
Regardless, just know that you can easily lose weight without fasting to lose belly fat.
Types of Belly Fat:
There are two types of fat stored in the abdominal region:
- Visceral fat is stored around the organs.
- Subcutaneous fat is stored right underneath the skin.
Between Visceral and Subcutaneous fat, the former is far more dangerous and can lead to several health issues in men and women.
But it’s men who are at a higher risk of accumulating visceral fat. This is also why weight loss should not just be a female-centric topic. So, if you are a male, you need to be paying special attention to the foods that burn belly fat.
Causes of Belly Fat:
Here is a list of causes of belly fat:
- Overeating (and emotional eating) is the biggest factor that causes belly fat in men and women. This, coupled with a sedentary lifestyle can cause you to put on the pounds like there’s no tomorrow. The good news is that eating the right foods to lose belly fat also helps improve metabolism and mood.
- Poor diet that includes eating sugary food like chocolates, cakes, and soft drinks can cause weight gain and suppress metabolism. Experts suggest a low-protein, high-carb, and high-trans-fat diet can lead to excessive weight gain and obesity.
- Insufficient sleep is a problem for many people these days. But it may also be the reason for you to gain belly fat. Studies have found sleeping for short durations can lead to weight gain. It’s also known that poor sleep quality can lead to unhealthy eating habits like emotional eating.
- Sedentary lifestyle is an obvious, but one of the most important, causes of belly fat in men and women. The concept of weight gain states that if your calorie intake is higher than the calories you burn off, you are going to get fat.
- Excessive alcohol consumption is proven to cause belly fat gain in men. This is also why your doctor suggests cutting back on the drinking as one of the first steps in losing your beer belly.
- Being stressed is also capable of causing weight gain. When you are stressed, your body produces a hormone called cortisol. This stress hormone slows down your metabolism and promotes your body to store the excess calories you’ve eaten. It also promotes stress-eating which is when you eat comfort food (like chocolate, ice cream, and candy) that can lead to weight gain.
- Genetics is also shown to affect risk of devthe eloping obesity-related diseases. This is why a study found that you are more likely to become obese if you’re your parents are obese.
- Smoking can disrupt hormonal balance and can increase the risk of becoming obese. It also increases the risk of other major health problems like heart disease, high blood pressure, and cancer.
Chapter 2: Is Belly Fat Dangerous?
If you are wondering if there is any real health risk of being fat or obese, the answer is yes, there is. Studies have found that being overweight is one of the biggest reasons for major diseases. This is also why the importance of foods that burn belly fat is not understated.
Belly fat is considered the most dangerous kind of fat since it surrounds your organs. This can affect the organs in your torso, increasing the risk of developing several types of health problems.
10 Side Effects of Belly Fat
Having belly fat can increase the risk of the following health problems:
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Liver problems
- High blood pressure
- Colon cancer
- Breast cancer
- Risk for sudden death
We aren’t very clear on why some people are prone to gain belly fat over thigh fat. But the modern unhealthy and sedentary lifestyle are known factors. This is also why home remedies to lose belly fat are popular.
Following a diet with the right foods to lose belly fat and regularly exercising can really promote natural weight loss.
How to Measure if You have Too Much belly Fat?
The most accurate way to measure your belly fat is through CT or MRI scans. These advanced imaging methods can help give you a clear understanding of the fat accumulated around your organs.
The less accurate but more common way to measure belly fat is with waist circumference measurement. This is where you use a tape measure to measure the belly just above your hip bone after breathing out.
According to experts, you have too much belly fat if your belly is more than 35 inches and 40 inches, for women and men, respectively. This indicates a higher risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.
We recommend keeping track of this measurement while following home remedies to lose belly fat naturally.
Can Ayurveda Help Burn Belly Fat?
The science of Ayurveda suggests belly fat is caused by an elevated Kapha dosha. This is why Kapha calming foods to eat to lose weight in the stomach are recommended for those with bell fat.
An increase in Kapha can be caused by eating sugary and fatty foods. This can result in weight gain and lethargy.
We’ll go into detail on the foods that burn belly fat in the next section.
Chapter 3: Foods that Burn Belly Fat
When it comes to the best diet to lose belly fat, you have plenty of foods to choose from. Whether you are vegetarian, non-vegetarian, or vegan, this list of foods that burn belly fat is sure to help with your belly fat diet.
This section will focus on listing the foods you should be adding to your shopping list for faster weight loss.
25 Vegetarian Foods that Burn Belly Fat
- Soy is a vegan favourite when it comes to weight management.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in Zinc which helps improve fat metabolism along with several micronutrients for better health.
- Oats contain beta-glucan, an insoluble fibre that absorbs water, slows digestion, and lowers blood sugar absorption. This can help improve insulin resistance and reduce belly fat.
- Broccoli is the go-to green vegetable that helps with weight loss. It works by improving insulin sensitivity, which is why it’s great for diabetics as well.
- Cardamom is an Ayurvedic remedy for inflammations and infections. It can improve heart health, blood pressure, and weight loss.
- Cannellini beans (white kidney beans) are rich in soluble fibre that can help reduce belly fat. This makes Cannellini beans great foods that burn belly fat.
- Chickpeas can be made into a snack or a meal. This food is known to help combat water retention, making it perfect for belly fat.
- Cinnamon is a tasty spice that helps fat storage to help promote weight loss.
- Popcorn, especially air-popped popcorn is a great snack for those looking to reduce their belly fat naturally. One study suggests that popcorn can also help promote fat burn.
- Curcumin in turmeric is known to help reduce belly fat while improving your BMI and supporting your belly fat diet.
- Cauliflower is a low-calorie, high-fibre vegetable that’s great for weight loss. It helps lower body fat and can be blended into rice if you don’t like the same in your curry.
- Asparagus helps improve satiety while reducing bloating as it’s a natural diuretic. Including Asparagus in your diet can help you stay fuller for longer.
- Garlic improves the taste of your meals while aiding your natural weight loss.
- Capsaicin found in chilli and curry powder can improve fat burn and reduce your appetite. It can also help control food intake and fat storage.
- Glucomannan from the Konjac plant is a dietary fibre that promotes weight loss.
- Flaxseeds are proven to help promote weight loss, according to one study. They also contain Lignan, a potent antioxidant that helps combat metabolic syndrome and inflammations.
- Barley is rich in soluble fibre and resistant starch while suppressings your appetite and slows digestion. These factors allow Barley one of the best foods that burn belly fat.
- Nuts are packed with nutrients which can help manage your appetite while reducing excess calorie intake. Eating just 28 grams of nuts a day can improve your weight control for a leaner physique.
- Protein powder-based pancakes, smoothies, and energy bars make for a great source of protein. Just taking 25-30 grams of protein per meal can help increase fullness for healthy weight loss, according to one study.
- Ginger is well-known for its digestive and anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps promote weight loss and reduces the risk of metabolic syndrome.
- Leafy greens are an all-rounder when it comes to a healthy, balanced diet. Eating leafy greens gives you plenty of potassium and magnesium which can reduce belly fat and bloat.
- Plain Greek yoghurt contains probiotics that help improve gut health and digestion. A healthier gut is essential for weight loss.
- Tofu is packed with plant-based protein that helps you stay full for longer. This one is a great choice for vegans looking to get lean.
- High fibre cereals make it easy to reduce calorie intake. They also help digestion and cholesterol while promoting weight loss, making them the best diet to lose belly fat.
- Quinoa is a newly introduced food in the Indian market. It contains over 7 grams of plant-based protein per cup of cooked quinoa. This food helps increase satiety and helps reduce belly fat.
4 Non-vegetarian Foods that Burn Belly Fat
- Egg whites have lower calories and fat as compared to the whole egg, giving you a way to get the protein without gaining weight.
- Cod is a fish packed with protein and helps support weight management. One study showed people ate 11% less for dinner than they had cod for lunch.
- Prawns help give you plenty of protein without the high-fat levels associated with a meal like mutton.
- Salmon is protein-rich, making it effective for improving satiety and promoting weight loss.
6 Fruits that Burn Belly Fat
- Raspberries contain a lot of Vitamin C, fibre, and other nutrients that help keep you full throughout the day.
- Bananas are rich in potassium and help with regulating fluid balance by reducing water retention and preventing bloating. This makes bananas great foods that burn belly fat.
- Avocados may be fatty but, monounsaturated fat, the type of fat these fruits contain, is good for your weight loss.
- Apples are fibre-rich foods which help you feel full for longer. This fruit also helps slow blood sugar absorption.
- Red grapes contain resveratrol, a compound that may help combat heart disease and some cancers. It may also help promote fat metabolism for a slimmer waistline.
- Carrots contain dietary fibres that help you feel full while promoting natural weight loss.
3 Drinks That Burn Belly Fat
- Water is the single most important drink to lose belly fat. Drink plenty of water every day so that your body stays hydrated and performs to its best abilities, supporting your weight loss journey.
- Green tea is rich in antioxidants and helps boost immunity while promoting weight loss. It’s also one of the best drinks to lose belly fat
- Apple cider vinegar is a popular weight loss remedy. It contains acetic acid that is proven to help promote weight loss and regulate blood sugar levels. It’s also one of the most popular homemade drinks to lose belly fat.
Foods to Avoid for Effective Fat Loss
Now that we’ve gone through the foods that burn belly fat, let’s explore foods that stop you from losing weight.
Here are 8 foods you should avoid eating for effective fat loss:
- Fried foods like French fries taste like heaven but are not nutritious. They are also very greasy and contain trans-fats as well as sodium which can result in a bigger belly.
- Carbonated drinks are fizzy drinks that are loaded with sugar and empty calories. Fructose used in aerated drinks can cause weight gain while artificial sweeteners in diet sodas are bad for your health.
- Red meats like mutton can cause weight gain. Opt for fish or eggs which have fewer calories if possible.
- Alcohol is known to slow down your metabolism and counters weight loss. Many alcoholic drinks like beer are rich in calories and fat, causing many to end up with a beer belly.
- Dairy products like milk, yoghurt, cheese, or ice cream can cause some to feel bloated. If you notice this symptom of lactose intolerance, switch to lactose-free milk products.
- Carbs in bread, rice, and potatoes can elevate insulin levels and slow down your resting metabolic rate. Lowering carbohydrate intake is also shown to reduce appetite.
- Refined sugar can cause insulin levels to rise, promoting fat storage. It also affects your immunity, making your body more susceptible to illnesses and diseases.
- Excess salt in your diet can cause water retention that leads to a bloated stomach. It can also affect your blood pressure and cause other long-term health problems.
Simply eating the right foods to lose belly fat is not the only solution to weight loss. The right vihaar (lifestyle choices) and chikitsa (medication) are also important.
Chapter 4: Lifestyle Changes to Reduce Belly Fat
Making sure your diet includes the right foods that burn belly fat is important. But just as important is pairing your healthy eating habits with a few lifestyle changes.
The three pillars of Ayurveda include Aahar (Food), Vihaar (Lifestyle choices), and Chikitsa (Medication). In Chapter 3, we discussed the right Aahar as the fastest way to lose belly fat. In this Chapter, we will list down the best Vihaar and home remedies to lose belly fat.
Here are 5 lifestyle changes to help burn belly fat:
- Outdoor activities that get the blood pumping, like biking, swimming, and jogging, are great ways to promote fat loss.
- HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) lets you perform intense exercises in small bursts with resting intervals. This type of training is proven to help boost fat burn and build endurance.
- Cardio exercises help improve stamina and burn calories quickly. Going running can do wonders for belly fat and is often the go-to training suggested by trainers.
- Avoid doing crunches because this ab exercise helps build ab muscles. And as your abs get stronger and grow in size, they end up making your belly look bigger. Instead, try planks, squats, and side stretches which help strengthen back muscles.
- Track your calorie intake since the most important formula for weight loss is to maintain a calorie deficit diet. Simply put, you should be eating fewer calories than you burn throughout the day. This is also where fruits that burn belly fat come in.
Yoga to Reduce Belly Fat
The right yoga asanas, along with foods that burn belly fat are known to work. Yoga can help relax the body and mind. It also helps rebalance your doshas and put your body in the right state for weight loss. Regularly Yoga
Here are 5 yoga asanas for burning belly fat:
Steps to perform Naukasana:
- Start by lying on your back with your arms beside your body and you feet together.
- Take a deep breath in and while exhaling, lift your chest and feet off the ground while stretching your arms towards your feet.
- Continue breathing deeply while holding the pose for few seconds.
- Slowly exhale as you come back down and relax.
- Do this pose 3-4 times a day for natural weight loss.
The Cobra stretch is another powerful yoga asana that helps naturally burn belly fat. This yoga asana helps bend your back while strengthening your abdominal region, and improving blood flow, and flexibility.
Steps to perform Bhujangasana:
- Start by lying face-down on the floor on your stomach while keeping your feet together.
- Place your hands on the floor under your shoulders while you take in a slow, deep breath.
- As you gradually exhale, stretch your arms to create an arc with your back.
- Push down with your tailbone to try narrow your hips.
- Lift up your sternum while keeping your lower back relaxed to evenly stretch your spine.
- Hold this position for a few seconds before coming down while slowly exhaling.
You may better know Kumbhakasana as the plank pose. This is an essential core-strengthening yoga asana that helps promote belly fat loss, reduces back pain, and enhances balance and flexibility. Try this yoga asana regularly along with a diet of foods that burn belly fat for better results.
Steps to perform Kumbhakasana:
- Start by lying face-down on the floor on your stomach while keeping your feet together.
- Place your palms on the ground next to your shoulders.
- As you deeply breath in, perform a pushup while maintaining a straight line from your heels to your head.
- Look down to the floor, breathe normally, and hold this position for 10-20 seconds.
- Slowly lower your body down to the ground and rest for 10 seconds.
- Repeat this yoga asana 5-6 times a day for effective fat loss.
The camel pose is an advanced yoga asana that helps strengthen your back muscles while improving posture and flexibility. Do note that Ustrasana is not recommended for those suffering from back or spine-related problems.
Steps to perform Ustrasana:
- Kneel on the floor with legs stretched out behind you with you palms on your buttocks.
- Lean back with your palms supporting your lower back.
- Lean back further to stretch your spine and place your hands on your heels.
- Hold this position for a few seconds before breathing out and returning to the initial position.
Dhanurasana lets your body stretch itself to the shape of a bow. Along with sexual performance benefits, this yoga asana also helps reduce belly fat, reduce stress, and strengthen abdominal muscles.
Steps to perform Dhanurasana:
- Start by lying on your stomach with your hands to your sides.
- Bend your back until you can grab your ankles with your hands.
- Increase the pulling force until you cant bend your back further.
- Hold this position for as long as possible before relaxing and gently relaxing.
- Repeat this yoga asana for weight loss 2-3 times a day.
While doing yoga is great for weight loss, avoid exercising right after eating foods to lose belly fat.
Chapter 5: Ayurveda to Reduce Belly Fat
Chikitsa is the third pillar of Ayurveda that helps keep your body and mind fit, healthy, and vigorous. Using Ayurveda is not a new concept but is one that is shown to work.
Eating the right foods that burn belly fat with better lifestyle choices and taking Ayurvedic herbs can magnify weight loss.
Herbs to Reduce Belly Fat
Here is a list of herbs in Ayurveda to reduce belly fat:
- Medohar Guggul is an Ayurvedic formulation with ten herbs (Triphala, Musta, Guggul, and more) that promotes fat metabolism and fat burn.
- Vrukshamal (Garcinia) is known to suppress your appetite to support weight loss and hunger cravings.
- Meshshrungi supports weight loss by lowering sugar cravings and food intake.
- Methi helps you feel full while reducing food intake and promoting fat metabolism.
- Musta is an Ayurvedic herb that promotes fat burn to help reduce belly fat.
- Apamarg Kshar helps improve blood lipid levels and prevents excess fat accumulation in the body.
- Aragvadha helps detoxify your body with its mild laxative properties while promoting water loss.
- Pippali helps your body get rid of fatty toxins while boosting fat metabolism and preventing fat accumulation in the body.
Taking these Ayurvedic herbs in the right amounts along with foods that burn belly fat and regular weight loss exercises can work! But sourcing and taking the right dosage of each herb can be difficult. This is why you should consult an Ayurvedic doctor before taking any of these herbs by yourself.
Alternatively, you can take Dr Vaidya’s Herboslim. This ayurvedic medicine for weight loss has a new and improved formula with all 8 of the above-mentioned herbs.
Herboslim to Reduce Belly Fat
Herboslim is an Ayurvedic product that can be your fastest way to lose belly fat!
This Ayurvedic formulation contains 8 ingredients like Medohar Guggul and Garcinia that promote natural weight loss. This fat burner works by promoting fat metabolism while suppressing your appetite. It also contains herbs that support detox to eliminate toxins from the body, enhancing your weight loss results.
With thousands of happy customers, Dr. Vaidya’s Herboslim is a best-selling product. This is what makes it a great investment in your weight loss journey.
Chapter 6: Final Word on Foods that Burn Belly Fat
Some may think that fasting to lose belly fat is okay, but it’s not! Healthy weight loss is possible with natural means.
Eating the right foods that burn belly fat and improving your diet is the best way to go forward. Follow this up with a consistent exercising routine with yoga for weight loss. Top this off with Ayurvedic fat burners to supercharge your fat burn from your diet and lifestyle choices.
Following this simple, time-tested formula for weight loss will surely help you burn belly fat for a flatter stomach.
Chapter 7: FAQs on Foods that Burn Belly Fat
What foods help burn belly fat?
This guide lists 38 foods to eat to lose weight in stomach. So, you can work these into your belly fat diet for natural weight loss.
How can I lose tummy fat fast?
The right diet (aahar), lifestyle choices (vihaar) and medication (chikitsa) can support natural and effective fat burn. So, eat the best foods that burn belly fat, followed by regular exercising and taking ayurvedic fat burners. Follow this natural and effective formula for the fastest way to lose belly fat naturally.
What burns fat while sleeping?
Fat metabolism helps your body burn fat to produce energy throughout the day, even while you sleep.
What drinks burn fat?
Apple cider vinegar and green tea are two of the most popular homemade drinks to lose belly fat. These are drinks that burn belly fat and are scientifically proven to aid weight loss.
How many glasses of water should I drink to lose weight?
There is no set rule for water intake and weight loss. However, you should make sure you aren’t dehydrated. Do this by making sure your urine colour ranges from light yellow to clear.