PCOS Treatment In Ayurved: What Is The Best Medicine For PCOS?
Published on Apr 12, 2021
By Dr. Surya Bhagwati
Chief In- House Doctor
BAMS, DHA, DHHCM, DHBTC | 30+ Years of Experience
Ayurved is a holistic healing system that was developed in India over 3000 years ago. It uses the science of balancing the mind, body, and spirit to achieve harmony with the environment. PCOS treatment in Ayurved, like many other illnesses and disorders, makes use of Ayurvedic herbs as well as dietary and lifestyle changes to show results.
What Is PCOS?
PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) is a hormonal disorder that can affect women of reproductive age. In India, one in five women are diagnosed with PCOS.
This disorder often causes excessive androgen (male hormone levels) production as well as infrequent or longer than normal menstrual periods.
The abnormal hormone levels caused by PCOS prevent follicles from growing and maturing naturally to release egg cells. Instead, these immature follicles accumulate in the ovaries, preventing the ovaries from regularly releasing the eggs.
Related Post: PCOD & Dosha Imbalance – An Ayurvedic Viewpoint
What Is The Ayurvedic Treatment For PCOS?
If you are looking for the best PCOS medicine, you should talk to your doctor to understand your options. Ayurved also has treatments that can help women deal with the symptoms of PCOS by helping to maintain optimal hormone balance. These Ayurvedic treatments will require you to sign up for an online doctor’s consultation first.
Ayurvedic Herbs For PCOS:
- Ashwagandha: Also known as Indian ginseng, Ashwagandha can help reduce PCOS symptoms by lowering stress and cortisol (stress hormone) levels .
- Turmeric: Containing Curcumin, this yellow spice is well-known for having anti-inflammatory properties that can help control blood glucose levels that are often elevated in PCOS. .
- Cinnamon: While a perfect addition to your coffee, Cinnamon is also proven to help with regulating menstrual cycles for PCOS sufferers .
When it comes to balancing hormone levels and regulating menstrual cycles, Dr. Vaidya’s Cycloherb contains 100% natural herbs that are proven to help.
Related Post: Ayurvedic management of PCOD
Practice Yoga For PCOS:
Ayurved suggests practising yoga to help manage and treat PCOS. In 2012, a study found that teenage girls with PCOS experienced a reduction in anxiety symptoms following a 12-week yoga program .
Here are a few yoga poses (asanas) that can help with PCOS:
- Bharadvaja’s Twist (Bharadvajasana)
- Corpse Pose (Shavasana)
- Mill Churning Pose (Chakki Chalanasana)
- Reclining Butterfly Pose (Supta Baddha Konasana)
Along with yoga, meditation, as well as breathing exercises (Pranayama), can help relieve stress.
Ayurvedic Diet For PCOS:
To better control the hormone levels, Ayurvedic doctors are probably going to provide you with a diet plan that helps manage and treat PCOS.
Diet advice for PCOS:
- Eat more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
- Eat fewer saturated fats like deep-fried foods and red meat.
- Reduce your salt intake.
- Reduce your sugar intake/avoid sugary foods as well as artificial sweeteners.
PCOS And Subfertility:
A major symptom of PCOS is subfertility. This is when you experience a delay in conceiving. One study with 15 participants with PCOS found that Vamana Karma (therapeutic vomiting) followed by taking an Ayurvedic formulation could help increase the chance of conception .
Another 2010 study found that PCOS-caused subfertility can be improved following a 6-month program of Shodhana (detoxifying), Shamana (relieving symptoms), and Tarpana (offerings) .
Consult An Ayurvedic Doctor To Treat PCOS:
If you have been diagnosed with PCOS, Ayurved can help relieve the symptoms and more. However, to get the best options for PCOS treatment in Ayurved, you should consider consulting an ayurvedic doctor first.
A detailed consultation will help the doctor create a customized treatment plan for you. This should include ayurvedic medicines for PCOS, therapies (like yoga), ayurvedic diet recommendations, and lifestyle changes to support the PCOS treatment.
- Choudhary, Dnyanraj, et al. “Body Weight Management in Adults Under Chronic Stress Through Treatment With Ashwagandha Root Extract.” Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine, vol. 22, no. 1, Jan. 2017, pp. 96–106. PubMed Central, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/2156587216641830.
- Mohammadi, Shima, et al. “Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Curcumin on Insulin Index, Levels of Interleukin-6, C-Reactive, and Liver Histology in Polycystic Ovary-Induced Rats.” Cell Journal (Yakhteh), vol. 19, no. 3, 2017, pp. 425–33.
- Kort, Daniel H., and Roger A. Lobo. “Preliminary Evidence That Cinnamon Improves Menstrual Cyclicity in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial.” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 211, no. 5, Nov. 2014, p. 487.e1-6. PubMed, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24813595/.
- Nidhi, Ram, et al. “Effect of Holistic Yoga Program on Anxiety Symptoms in Adolescent Girls with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome: A Randomized Control Trial.” International Journal of Yoga, vol. 5, no. 2, 2012, pp. 112–17. PubMed Central, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22869994/.
- Bhingardive, Kamini Balasaheb, et al. “Clinical Efficacy of Vamana Karma with Ikshwaaku Beeja Yoga Followed by Shatapushpadi Ghanavati in the Management of Artava Kshaya w. s. r to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.” Ayu, vol. 38, no. 3–4, 2017, pp. 127–32. PubMed Central, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30254392/.
- Dayani Siriwardene, S. A., et al. “Clinical Efficacy of Ayurved Treatment Regimen on Subfertility with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).” Ayu, vol. 31, no. 1, 2010, pp. 24–27. PubMed Central, https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-8520.68203.