How to Stop Sneezing and Runny Nose?
Published on Nov 21, 2022
By Dr. Surya Bhagwati
Chief In- House Doctor
BAMS, DHA, DHHCM, DHBTC | 30+ Years of Experience
Common cold or Prathishyaya is a complication that we suffer from at least once every year. With changing weather and unbalanced doshas, we struggle to maintain the normal functioning of our nose which results in a common cold. While it is not a life-threatening disease, it can be contagious and a sign of low immunity. In this article, we understand the common cold from an ayurvedic lens and how to stop sneezing and runny nose naturally.
Why do you Sneeze a lot?
A lot of factors can cause you to sneeze. Almost anything that irritates your nose can result in sneezing. Sneezing-related issues do not wait for a particular month and can affect you around the year. We now deep into the question of ‘why do you sneeze a lot’, depending on your dosha imbalance:
- Ayurveda describes the causes of sneezing during the spring season as an accumulation of Kapha dosha, made of earth and water elements. This causes a heavy feeling in the nose and increases mucus in the head and sinuses.
- During summers, the underlying reason for sneezing is an out-of-balance pitta dosha. Due to excess heat, your respiratory system deals with inflammation, and some of the symptoms are rash, headache, and inflammation in the sinuses that causes sneezing.
- The most common sneezing issues happen during winter. This is when your Vata dosha is out of balance. This results in continuous sneezing and runny nose, headaches, and wheezing.
Depending on the seasons, you may deal with different types of sneezing problems. Now, let us learn how to stop sneezing and runny nose, and deal with seasonal allergies.
How to Stop Sneezing and Runny Nose?
A lot of us struggle with sneezing and cold at least once a year. From seasonal allergies to common colds, sneezing can impact you at any time. But, you cannot rely upon allopathic medicines all the time as they come with their own side effects. Ayurveda understands that in order to treat any disease, you don’t need to invite others. With home remedies, ayurvedic herbs, and lifestyle changes, you can naturally treat continuous sneezing and runny nose.
Home Remedies for Sneezing
Continous sneezing and recurring cold can be underlying symptoms of low immunity. You must build back your immunity to be able to fight cold germs. Here are some of the most potent home remedies for sneezing and cold that Ayurveda swears by, as they help build your immune system:
Consume citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruit, lemons, and more, which are powerful antioxidants that help build the immune system of the body. They are a great way how to stop sneezing and runny nose.
Amla is another antioxidant that helps build immunity and reduce sneezing. It is considered a superfood in Ayurveda as it can be used for multiple purposes, including viral and bacterial ailments.
Ginger is an ayurvedic treatment for cold as it has antiseptic properties and helps decongest the nose and throat to cure a cold. It has a long history as a cold remedy. It has medicinal properties that can reduce inflammation and soothes sore throats.
Eucalyptus oil is known to control sinuses and helps relieve a fluffy or blocked nose. Its anti-bacterial properties can help reduce inflammation and clear nasal passages.
Tulsi is a famous sinus decongestant that helps reduce cold and cough. It has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-allergic properties. It helps improve immune function and helps reduce continuous sneezing and runny nose.
Consume Inhalant, an ayurvedic cold and cough medicine, contains many such ayurvedic herbs to reduce cold. It provides quick relief from nasal congestion and safeguards from seasonal allergies.
How to Stop Sneezing with Cold?
If you are struggling with a cold, you understand that sneezing can not just be annoying but also painful. It accompanies headaches and nausea. Here are some of the ways how to stop sneezing with cold.
- Wash your hands properly with soap and water, and wash them for at least 20 seconds to prevent the spread of cold viruses
- Prevent contact with your nose, eyes, or face
- Increase water intake and consume hot tea and liquids
- Take steam by adding 1-2 drops of eucalyptus oil in a bowl of hot water
- As a home remedy for sneezing, boil 5-10 grams of freshly cut ginger in a glass of water for 5 minutes. Strain the concoction and consume it 4-5 times a day to stop sneezing with a cold
While you can learn how to stop sneezing with cold for a short period of time, you can get rid of sneezing for good only after curing your cold. So, your goal should be to cure your cold to stop sneezing.
Early Morning Sneezing Home Remedies
Early morning sneezing is mostly because of prolonged exposure to common airborne pollutants while sleeping. In this case, the best early morning sneezing home remedy is to use air purifiers and do nasal cleaning right after waking up. Nasal cleaning or Jal Neti is a traditional yogic practice that helps clear the nose and sinus passages through nasal irrigation. You can perform Jal Neti at the comfort of your home by following these steps:
- Create a sea salt water solution by mixing water and sea salt
- Tilt your head forward and to the side
- Pour the solution into the nostril on the top and allow it to pour out the other
This cleans the nasal passage and clears excess mucus that helps you stop sneezing and runny noseThere are several ayurvedic ways how to stop sneezing and runny nose. However, as we discussed earlier as well, these are symptoms of a cold and they go away only after your cold is cured. Regularly drinking Ayurvedic Kadha, an ayurvedic treatment for cold and cough, that boosts your immune system.