How to Control Sugar Levels Naturally?
Published on Nov 29, 2022
By Dr. Surya Bhagwati
Chief In- House Doctor
BAMS, DHA, DHHCM, DHBTC | 30+ Years of Experience
Diabetes is a highly challenging health condition that more than 80 million people struggle with in India. People with diabetes especially struggle with high or low blood sugar level that impacts their day-to-day life. According to Ayurveda, Diabetes or Madhumeha is caused by elevated Kapha dosha, and the approach of ayurveda for diabetes is to reduce it naturally and balance Kapha dosha. This signifies a sedentary lifestyle and poor eating habits that result in imbalanced sugar levels. In this blog, we discuss one of the most crucial complications of diabetes, ie high blood sugar, and how to control sugar level effectively with Ayurveda:
What Should be the Normal Sugar Level?
With a risk of diabetes, one of the first questions that you may have is, what should be the normal sugar level? A blood sugar level that is less than 140 mg/dl is considered a normal blood sugar level. Ayurveda understands that every human body is different and so are their needs.
Normal blood sugar level by age:
Ideal Blood Sugar Level
For adults [20 years and above]
from 90 to 130 mg/dl
For children [13 to 19 years old]
from 90 to130 mg/dl
For children [6 to12 to years old]
from 90 to 180 mg/dl
For children [under age 6 years]
from 100 to 180 mg/dl
What Causes High Blood Sugar?
Are you wondering what causes high blood sugar in people with diabetes? There are multiple reasons why you may have high blood sugar, and some of them include:
- Sickness or illness like cold, which can harm your body and reduce its capability to produce insulin
- Emotional stress triggers your mind and affects your blood sugar level
- Eating more than the recommended diet, you should only intake foods like grains fruits vegetables in a proper quantity as overeating can affect your blood sugar level
- Lack of insulin in the body or injecting expired insulin or incorrectly can result in high blood sugar level
If you are struggling with these problems, you may also have to deal with high blood sugar. This can cause result in diabetes so it is important that you learn how to control sugar level.
How to Immediately Lower Blood Sugar Levels?
There can be situations where your blood sugar level can increase suddenly and you may need immediate relief. You can follow these steps to learn how to immediately lower blood sugar level:
1: Lie down
2: Take deep breaths
3: Drink water after some time
This is how you lower your blood sugar level within minutes, as it helps slow your heart rate and decrease your blood pressure. While this is an immediate solution, it may not provide you with the required relief. The best answer for how to reduce sugar level immediately is to consult a doctor or get emergency help.
How to Control Sugar Level?
You can rely upon Ayurveda for diabetes-related complications, including high blood sugar levels as Ayurveda offers natural and root-level solutions. It offers a holistic answer to how to control sugar level. The process of reducing sugar levels include:
- Aahar: Sattvic diet (foods that are light and healthy) and dietary changes to manage diabetes
- Vihaar: Lifestyle changes and exercises to control sugar level
- Chikitsa: Ayurvedic herbs and medicines to manage sugar levels
We will discuss these in detail in the following section.
Everyday Tips to Control Sugar
In order to pacify your Kapha dosha and learn how to reduce sugar level, you can follow these useful tips to maintain your blood sugar level.
Aahar or food prepared as per the recipes and suggestions in Ayurveda helps maintain a healthy lifestyle. In order to control your sugar level, you must follow these steps:
- Consume healthy food which will help you control your blood sugar rate
- If you are wondering how to control sugar level, you should follow a balanced diet that includes food low in calories, saturated fat, trans fat, sugar, and salt.
- Adding oats to your diet will help you to maintain your blood sugar level and it will also make your tummy full for a long time.
- Barley is an excellent food for diabetic patients. It has many advantages and it is very nutritious also. Its ability is to lower blood glucose levels due to its low glycemic index, which helps with blood glucose and insulin management.
- Broccoli and broccoli sprouts are known to promote insulin sensitivity and reduce blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes when supplemented as a powder or extract.
Vihaar or lifestyle changes that can help you with maintaining your sugar level. These changes in your daily routine can help you manage your blood sugar level.
- Start your day with a peaceful mind and perform yoga and meditation every morning.
- Most important tip to control sugar level is to eat at regular times and try not to skip meals.
- Regularly check your blood sugar level so that you can find out what is beneficial and what is not.
- Try to avoid juices, soda, or any kind of cold drink instead, drink lukewarm water.
Ayurvedic chikitsa can help you reduce your blood sugar levels significantly. Consume Diabex by Dr. Vaidya’s, an ayurvedic medicine to help reduce sugar levels naturally. Consume 1 capsule, twice a day for 3 months and you will quickly see the results:
- Helps regulate blood sugar level
- Helps against sudden fall in blood sugar level
- Helps nourish vital organs
- Helps promote glucose metabolism