11 Side Effects of Excessive Masturbation
by Dr. Surya Bhagwati on Apr 18, 2022
Discussions about masturbation are often taboo in our culture because of the many myths about masturbation. But is masturbation bad for health as they say or are there real benefits to masturbating, for both men and women? In this article, let’s get a clear picture of the side effects of excessive masturbation and find out what you need to do next.
Before jumping to the pros and cons of masturbation, let’s get a clear overview of the subject.
What is Masturbation?
Dr Chirag Bhandari is one of the best sexologists in India. He has stated that side effects of excessive masturbation can befall those who masturbate more than 21 times a month.
Masturbation is the act of self-pleasure by touching or rubbing parts of the body for pleasure. These include the penis, scrotum, clitoris, breasts, and anus. The activity of masturbation is completely normal for men and women as its part of healthy development.
Next, let’s list down a few well-known myths about masturbation.
Truth & Myths about Masturbation
With masturbation being such a taboo subject, the truth, myths, advantages and disadvantages of masturbation are not very clear.
So, before jumping to finding out ‘Is it okay to masturbate every day,’ let’s expose the myths that surround this topic.
Myths about masturbation include it causing:
- Future impotence
- Low sperm count
- Penis curvature
- Penis shrinkage
- Mental problems
However, there are real side effects of excessive masturbation that can happen to those overindulging in the activity.
Now that we have a better understanding of the myths, let’s answer the question ‘Is it okay to masturbate every day?’
Is Masturbation Bad for Health?
The answer to this question is yes and no.
The pros of masturbation include its ability to help you relax and improve your sleep quality. It can also help improve your mood, concentration, and sexual health. Masturbation also helps release tension and alleviate pain. It’s even known to help women deal with menstrual cramps. That said, healthy masturbation means occasionally masturbating without it becoming a habit or compulsion.
The cons of masturbation occur when you excessively masturbate, which can overstimulate the brain and change your brain chemistry. Excessive masturbation can cause premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, and many other side effects. This is why finding the right answer to ‘How to stop masturbation addiction?’ is so important.
Studies have found men have a greater need for masturbation than women. According to Ayurveda, masturbation can lead to several physical, mental, and emotional problems which are mentioned in the next section that lists the side effects of excessive masturbation.
Top 11 Side Effects of Excessive Masturbation
11 potential problems are caused by excessively masturbating:
- Swollen genitals: Masturbating too frequently can cause Edema, a disease where the penis swells up due to continuous irritation.
- Redness & tender skin: Excessive pressure or yanking can cause redness and tender skin which can lead to rashes. This can also increase the risk of skin infections due to low-quality lubricants or dirty hands being used.
- Reduced penile sensitivity: Holding your penis too tightly can reduce penile sensitivity. This is why excessive masturbation can cause premature ejaculation.
- Disruption in daily life: One of the biggest side effects of excessive masturbation can be masturbation addiction which can disrupt your social interactions and daily tasks like work and school.
- Low sperm count: Excessive masturbation causes disruption in testosterone production which can result in a lower sperm count and poor fertility.
- Dhat syndrome: This syndrome occurs when semen is passed during urination and is a major problem for men in India. Dhat syndrome can lead to erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation.
- Nightfall problem: This problem occurs when men orgasm in their sleep while having a wet dream. Being overly stimulated, watching porn, and being overindulgent in masturbation are known to cause this nightfall problem.
- Poor self-esteem: Many men masturbate to help combat anxiety and depression. But excessively masturbating can hurt their confidence and self-esteem.
- Guilt: Cultural and religious teachings often portray self-pleasure as a sin or crime. So, someone who masturbates too frequently can feel an intense sense of guilt or shame.
- Loss of vitality: Ayurvedic practitioners state that if you lose too much semen, your body can experience a gradual decline in vitality. This is often experienced as weakness or fatigue as side effects of excessive masturbation.
- Poor focus: Addition to masturbation can cause some men to skip their studies or work to indulge in masturbation. This can result in a loss of focus and can lead to failure.
How to Stop Masturbation Addiction?
There are advantages and disadvantages of masturbation. But there are a lot of side effects of excessive masturbation because of being addicted to it.
Excessive masturbation causes both physical and mental problems that can’t just be fixed with a snap of the figures. Instead, the recommended treatment for stopping masturbation addiction is to talk to a doctor.
You can consult an ayurvedic doctor online or talk to your local doctor about this problem. They may recommend you to consult a counsellor or sex therapist.
In addition to doctor consultation, here are 4 ways to help combat masturbation addiction:
- Accept and come to terms with the sexual desire and need for the orgasm you crave.
- Keep your mind focused on productive work and away from sexually stimulating content.
- Only get on the bed before going to sleep and avoid stimulating content.
- Try ayurvedic medicines that help combat anxiety, restore libido and naturally boost testosterone levels.
The urge to masturbate is a natural one for teenagers and adults alike. But while there are several benefits of masturbation, the side effects of excessive masturbation can become a major problem if you become addicted to masturbation.
And if you think your habit of self-pleasure is getting out of hand where it’s affecting your health and life negatively, talk to your doctor or consult a sex therapist.