How to Use Lemon Water to Lose Weight?
Published on Feb 06, 2023
By Dr. Surya Bhagwati
Chief In- House Doctor
BAMS, DHA, DHHCM, DHBTC | 30+ Years of Experience
Lemons are a potent, nutrient-rich fruit with numerous health benefits. In Ayurveda, lemon is known as Nimbuka and Jambira and is one of the few foods that balance all three doshas - Vata, Pitta and Kapha. While there are multiple health benefits of lemon, it is primarily known for weight loss. Plus, it's as simple as grabbing a glass and filling it up with fresh lemon water! Let us learn more about how to consume lemon water to lose weight.
Does Lemon Help Lose Weight?
You may wonder, does lemon help lose weight? Since it is easy to digest and has a hot (Ushna) potency, lemon helps lose weight. You can consume lemon water regularly to enjoy its health benefits for weight loss.
Check them out:
- Lemons are a powerful aid like Deepana (improving digestion) due to their high content of dietary fibre, which helps to keep your bowels regular. When consumed with a meal or snack, lemon water aids in digestion and helps the body break down food faster and more efficiently.
- Drinking lemon water with meals can also increase bile production and reduce the symptoms of heartburn or acid reflux.
- We know that lemon improves digestion, but does lemon help lose weight naturally? Yes it does, since lemons are low in calories, they can help you maintain a healthy weight as part of an overall balanced diet.
- The pectin found in lemon peels helps to keep you feeling full for longer periods, thus reducing cravings and snacking between meals.
- One of the most renowned effects of lemon water to lose weight is its ability to help boost metabolism. Additionally, research indicates that citric acid found in lemons may aid weight loss efforts.
How to Make Lemon Water for Weight Loss?
Making lemon water is incredibly easy. With these easy-to-follow steps, you can learn how to make lemon water for weight loss.
- Simply squeeze the juice of one lemon into a glass of warm water to make warm lemon water for weight loss
- If you'd like to add a flavour kick, consider adding a few thin slices of fresh ginger, turmeric, mint leaves or raw honey.
- Once your desired ingredients are added, let the mixture sit for about 10-15 minutes before drinking.
- Make sure you drink your lemon water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to enjoy lemon water to lose weight
- While ayurveda signifies that lemon helps burn fat, it is essential to combine it with a healthy diet and regular exercise.
- Consume lemon water every day to enjoy its benefits. However, if you begin to see any side effects of lemon water, you should pause consuming it and consult your doctor.
Health Benefits of Lemons
Numerous studies have shown lemon juice's positive effects on overall health. Now that we know that you can enjoy lemon water to lose weight, we should learn about its other health benefits for your body.
Boosts Immunity and Fights Infections
Studies have also shown that consuming vitamin C can reduce the duration of cold and flu symptoms. Lemons contain a large amount of vitamin C, which helps boost your immunity and fight off infections. Vitamin C stimulates white blood cells that help to identify and eliminate bacteria and viruses from the body. You can regularly consume warm lemon water for weight loss, fighting viruses and boosting immunity.
Nutrient Content of Lemons
Along with lemon water to lose weight, you can consume it for its excellent source of several essential vitamins and minerals. They contain vitamin C, folate, thiamin, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and potassium. These vitamins and minerals offer a variety of health benefits ranging from improved immunity to better digestion to stronger bones.
Rich Source of Antioxidants
Lemons is also high in antioxidants like flavonoids, which help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals. They also contain pectin, which acts as a prebiotic in the gut, helping to promote the growth of healthy bacteria and maintain digestive regularity. To reap the health benefits of lemons, try adding them to salads or drinking lemon water throughout the day.
Supports Heart Health and Reduces Inflammation
Lemons are an excellent source of polyphenols, including hesperidin and diosmin. These compounds act as antioxidants in the body and can help reduce inflammation, thereby improving heart health. Research suggests that citrus fruits like lemons may be associated with a lower risk of stroke and high blood pressure. Additionally, pectin—a type of fibre found in lemons—may help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. While there are no specific side effects of lemon water, if you are struggling with gastrointestinal problems, we recommend limiting its usage.That was all about lemon water to lose weight. If you are looking for natural ways to lose weight, we recommend you try Herboslim: Ayurvedic medicine for weight loss. The naturally sourced herbs help lose visible weight, improve metabolism and help control unhealthy cravings.