Does Chyawanprash Help Boost Immunity?
Published on Nov 07, 2022
Chyawan was a rishi known for being rejuvenated by a specially made herbal preparation and prasha means a foodstuff suitable for consumption. Therefore, this polyherbal preparation is called Chyawanprash.
Chyawanprash is a Rasayana (rejuvenator), which means it nourishes the Rasa Dhatu.
The Chyawanprash formula is described in the ancient Ayurvedic texts, namely Ashtanga Hridayam, Charaka Samhita, and Sangandhara Samhita.
Ayurveda is a science that aims at both curative and preventive medical care and thereby has recommended herbs and other techniques to improve immunity and prevent diseases.
Rasayana is a branch of Ayurveda, which aims to prolong life, prevent ageing and diseases, eliminate degenerative processes, and promote health. Rasayana herbs strengthen the resistance of the body and protect it from diseases.
The Rasayana drugs are mainly classified as:
- Kamya Rasayana: For promotion of health
- Naimittika Rasayana: For the cure of diseases
- Medhya Rasāyana: All the Rasāyana drugs also improve the mental health
- Ācāra Rasāyana: The established rules of conduct, are also considered as means of Rasāyana, which are known as ĀcāraRasāyana
Chyawanprash is a Kamya Rasayana as it improves the health and vigour of a person. Chyawanprash is good for improving vigour, vitality, and delays the ageing process due to its antioxidant property.
Chyawanprash is made by preparing a decoction of herbs, followed by dried extract preparation, subsequent mixture with honey, and the addition of aromatic herbal powders.
The main ingredient of Chyawanprash is Amla, which is very high in vitamin C and is an immunomodulator with anti-ageing properties. Chyawanprash is loaded with over 45 + nutrient-rich herbs including
- Ashwagandha which is an Antioxidant, aphrodisiac, and adaptogen
- Bala which nourishes all the Dhatus
- Pippali activates Agni or digestive fire and improves metabolism. It also pacifies Vata and Kapha Doshas
- Draksha helps improve immunity
- Gokshura helps with digestion, is useful in the management of Urinary Disorders, and is beneficial for eye health
- Shatavari boosts immunity
- Brahmi is an antioxidant which boosts brain functions
- Guduchi removes ama in the body and improves immunity
- Pushkara help treat respiratory concerns and cough. Its antiviral and antibacterial properties help the immune system fight pathogens
It contains Dashamoola which balances tridosha Dashamoola (10 roots), Ashta varga the active ingredients of the Aṣṭavarga, increases immunity and protect the body from diseases.
Chaturjata: Made of four ingredients that balance Kapha dosha in the body. Since it is loaded with nutrient-rich herbs, it shows benefits in all the organ systems:
- It is tridosha shamaka
- Enhances gut fire or agni
- Rochana (stimulates appetite)
- Improves digestion and metabolism
- Purifies blood Detoxifies the body
- Treats nausea, vomiting, bloating, promotes liver function
- Protects and strengthens respiratory system
- Enhances fertility
- Cardiac tonic
- Improves function of sense organs
- Improves tone of the skin
- Good for hair
- Chakushya (treats eye problems)
- Prevents ageing
- Manages Diabetes
- Improves intelligence and nourishes the brain cells
- Improves strength
- Prevents infections
- Balances the endocrine system
- Improves ojas
- Calms the nerves, reduces anxiety
Adults can take 2 teaspoons, twice daily of MyPrash for Daily Health with milk before meals. Pitta prakriti people with acidity issues should have it with milk. It should be preferably had before meals and it should be taken in smaller quantities if the digestive system is weak.
It’s also very good for children as it boosts immunity and promotes growth. Children can take 1 teaspoon, twice daily of Chyawanprash. They will also enjoy Chyawan Gummies which provide the goodness of Chyawanprash in gummy form.
Ayurveda believes in having a good mind-body balance and building a strong immune system so that health is maintained. Therefore, it is good to have Rasayanas like Chywanprash along with a good diet and regular exercise for better health and wellbeing.