How Ayurveda Can Help In Treating PCODDr. Surya Bhagwati
PCOD affects an estimated 36% of women in the reproductive age group. Fortunately, treatments and Ayurvedic medicine for PCOD are effective for managing PCOD symptoms.
Most of us are either directly affected by it or know someone who is. Categorized as a chronic disease with no cure, the condition is terrifying to most because it can cause painful and uncomfortable symptoms, adversely impact fertility, and increase the risk of lifestyle diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Although conventional treatment can help relieve symptoms and lower the risk of complications, people are recognizing the value of Ayurveda in helping cope with PCOD.
How Can Ayurveda Improve PCOD Treatment?
Ayurveda is most helpful in the treatment of PCOD not when used as an alternative to conventional medical care, but when used as a complementary therapy. As it is a wholly natural and holistic form of medicine, Ayurveda can include dietary therapy, lifestyle modifications, physical therapy, herbal medication, and therapeutic practices that can be used in combination with medical care. It can reduce dependence on drugs that are fraught with side effects and help to lower the risk of complications naturally.
This is precisely why WHO put forth the Traditional Medicine program a decade ago, in which it stated that disciplines like Ayurveda can improve public health and lower the burden on health care infrastructure. An imbalance in Dosha can also cause PCOD.
Ayurvedic Diet & Lifestyle Recommendations
Diet and lifestyle factors are regarded as the root cause for imbalances that give rise to PCOD. This is in consensus with modern medical studies that point to diet and lifestyle choices as well.
For example, in Ayurveda, a PCOD diet should focus on balanced eating, not calorie restriction. The diet should mainly comprise whole foods in their natural form, while processed foods should be limited. This makes sense as studies also link PCOD to a high intake of processed foods containing sugar, refined carbs, and trans fats.
Diet therapy in Ayurveda also includes the use of food cures for PCOD and herbal formulations, which are gaining increased scientific support.
Ayurvedic foods to manage PCOD symptoms::
- Methi seeds – They can help regulate hormonal levels, reduce cyst formation, and relieve menstrual irregularities. The seeds can also help lower blood glucose levels, improving insulin sensitivity.
- Jeera – Most of us regard jeera as a digestive aid, but research shows that it can offer similar benefits to methi seeds. This ingredient has proven anti-diabetic and cholesterol-lowering effects that can protect against PCOD complications.
- Tulsi – In addition to helping regulate blood sugar levels, tulsi which is one of the most revered herbs in Ayurveda, has also been found to exhibit anti-androgenic effects, which can help normalize hormonal levels to relieve PCOD symptoms like acne, excess hair growth, and irregular periods.
- Gokhru – Ayurvedic medications for PCOD often contain gokhru as research shows that it can relieve menstrual symptoms associated with PCOS, restore healthy endocrinal functions, and help regulate ovulation, which is also impacted in PCOD.
- Shilajit – Widely used in wellness supplements for men, this Ayurvedic herb can also benefit women afflicted with PCOD as studies show that it has ovogenic effects, which can improve chances of conception.
In addition to these foods and Ayurvedic herbs, other Ayurvedic therapies like Panchakarma are also promising as natural treatments to improve PCOD recovery. Lifestyle changes with increased physical activity are also central to the Ayurvedic management of PCOD, with several yoga asanas like Surya Namaskar, Sarvangasana, and Paschimothanasana being recommended. Studies show that yoga can actually help not just through weight management, but may also help control androgen levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
Just keep in mind that while Ayurveda can aid PCOD treatment, regular medical checks remain important and treatment should not be stopped without consulting your doctor.
Ayurvedic Medicine For PCOD – Period Wellness
Dr. Vaidya’s Period Wellness capsules are formulated with 32 Ayurvedic herbs like Nagarmotha, Vajradanti, and Gokhru to help promote hormonal balance in women. The blend in period wellness capsules can help relieve abdominal discomfort and pain caused during periods. The improved hormonal balance also makes it easier to manage the PCOD symptoms while improving energy levels and overall health.
This makes Period Wellness an effective Ayurvedic medicine for PCOD. But if you are unsure whether this Ayurvedic product is for you, it is best to consult one of our Ayurvedic doctors. You can book an online doctor consultation or call our customer service team to get you an in-person appointment at our Mumbai clinic.