Erectile Dysfunction: Causes and Treatment
Published on Oct 19, 2021
By Dr. Surya Bhagwati
Chief In- House Doctor
BAMS, DHA, DHHCM, DHBTC | 30+ Years of Experience
Erectile dysfunction, or ED, is one of the most common sexual dysfunctions reported by men. It is estimated that as many as 30 million men are suffering from ED problems around the world.
A recent study by Pfizer Upjohn revealed the shocking fact that India is now the impotence capital of the world. Even though erectile dysfunction treatment is readily and easily available, most men still hesitate to address this issue.
If you are one of them, this blog will help you know all the details about ED, including causes of erectile dysfunction, symptoms of ED, and erectile dysfunction treatment.
Looking for an Ayurvedic male power booster? Shilajit Gold is a premium Shilajit capsule formulated with stamina, energy, and vigour in mind.
You can buy Shilajit Gold for just Rs. 649 from Dr. Vaidya's online Ayurvedic store.
Table Of Contents
- What Is Erectile Dysfunction?
- Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
- Erectile Dysfunction and Ayurved
- Symptoms Of Erectile Dysfunction
- Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
What Is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction is a persistent failure or a repeated inability to achieve or sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse.
It is not uncommon to have erection problems from time to time. But progressive erectile dysfunction that happens routinely can cause stress, affect your self-confidence, and lead to a troubled relationship.
Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
Getting and maintaining an erection depends on a complex interplay that involves the brain, nerves, hormones, muscles, blood circulation as well as emotions.
- Diabetes causes damage to small blood vessels or nerves that causes erection problems.
- Heart problems, such as high blood pressure and atherosclerosis
- As a side effect of certain medications like antihypertensives
- Mood problems such as stress, anxiety, and depression
- Hormonal imbalance
- Nerve related disorders, like Parkinson's disease
- Smoking, Tobacco consumption
- Alcoholism and drug addiction
- Certain types of prostates and bladder surgery
- Lower abdominal operation or injuries which affect the spinal cord
Erectile Dysfunction and Ayurved
Detailed descriptions about male sexual functioning, disorders, and treatments are available in Ayurvedic classical texts. These texts have described ED as “Klaibya” and have further classified it as
- Beejopaghataja (disorders of androgens)
- Dhwajabhanga (penile diseases or trauma)
- Jarajanya (due to old age), and
- Shukrakshayaja (diminution in semen).
These texts have also listed ayurvedic treatment for erectile dysfunction.
Symptoms Of Erectile Dysfunction
These include persistent:
- Trouble getting and maintaining an erection
- Reduced sexual desire
- Low self-esteem
- Performance anxiety or Depression
- Distress for the man and his partner
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile Dysfunction not only hampers your performance in the bedroom but also affects your accomplishments outside it as it can lower your self-esteem and confidence.
Fortunately, there are good chances that erectile dysfunction can be cured completely. However, the final ED cure depends on its cause. You can consult a doctor to know the exact cause and if it is possible to cure erectile dysfunction permanently.
Many effective ayurvedic medicines for the sexual weakness of men are available in Ayurved. These herbal formulations are a safe way of treating erection problems.
Here are effective erectile dysfunction remedies:
Shilajit, often called Indian Viagra, is considered a panacea for male sexual dysfunctions. This herbal mineral obtained from the Himalayan rocks serves as one of the most effective, safe, and affordable cures of ED.
It has Balya (strength provider) and Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties. It is capable of increasing testosterone levels, boosting libido or sexual desire, enhancing energy and stamina. It improves the blood supply around the male genital that helps in erection.
If you have diabetes or raised cholesterol levels, your chances of suffering from ED are high. Shilajit is beneficial in these conditions also as it lowers blood sugar and cholesterol levels. It also reduces stress and anxiety, strengthens the immune system. That’s why Shilajit is one of the most preferred erectile dysfunction remedies.
The recommended dosage of Shilajit for Erectile Dysfunction is between 300mg to 500mg or 2 to 4 drops per day. It is better to take it with milk.
Also known as Indian ginseng, this ancient ayurvedic herb is a popular medicine for sexual weakness. Ashwagandha is a Vrishya or aphrodisiac herb that boosts testosterone levels. As you age, the testosterone levels start dipping gradually and affect your desire, blood flow, stamina, and performance.
By boosting testosterone levels naturally, Ashwagandha helps to resolve these issues. It stimulates the production of nitric acid that dilates the blood vessels to ensure all body parts including, your penis, get ample blood flow. It is a proven adaptogen that reduces stress hormone cortisol’s level, anxiety and elevates mood. Thus, it takes care of psychological factors that cause ED.
Ashwagandha is also known for its muscle-building benefits. It also helps to enhance endurance that helps boost your performance and timing at the gym and in bed.
Take a half teaspoon (3 g) of Ashwagandha powder twice daily with milk. Ashwagandha capsules or tablets that contain anything between 250 mg to 500 mg of Ashwagandha extract are also available. You can take them as per the dosages mentioned on the label or as suggested by your physician.
Safed Musli is a famous Vajikaran herb of Ayurved used as a tonic and rejuvenating for the reproductive system. Many studies have proved its natural aphrodisiac properties. It boosts the production of male hormones like testosterone and luteinizing hormone. It reduces stress and helps increase libido and sexual desire that too without any side effects.
There is a strong link between heart disease and erectile dysfunction. Safed Musli is well-known for its heart-protecting benefits. This natural antioxidant herb strengthens the heart muscles, lowers blood cholesterol levels to prevent lipid build-up in blood vessels. Thus, it reduces the risk of heart attacks, heart blocks, or blood clots. All these actions ensure the healthy blood flow necessary for erectile function.
Thus, Safed Musli helps cure erectile dysfunction and other sexual problems like premature ejaculation, fatigue. The recommended daily dose of Safed Musli is 2 grams per day.
Gokshur or Gokhru is a promising ayurvedic herb for ED problems. It helps boost energy and vitality, strengthens the penile tissue to enhance penile erection.
Gokhru is proven to increase luteal hormone in men that in turn boosts the production of testosterone. It increases sexual desire and arousal to enhance performance. Gokshura enhances the production of nitric acid that dilates blood vessels to improve blood supply and maintain an erection.
The recommended dose of Gokshura powder is half to one teaspoon with milk twice daily after meals.
Kawach or Kaunch beej is commonly used in the ayurvedic treatment of erectile dysfunction thanks to its aphrodisiac and vitalizing properties.
Kawach beej tones the muscles of the male sexual organ and improves stamina. It works as an antioxidant and nervine tonic to prevent degeneration of nerves caused by aging, harmful free radicals, and abnormally high blood sugar levels.
Take a teaspoon of Kawach beej churna with milk twice daily after meals.
Kawach beej is a key ingredient of Dr. Vaidya’s premium ayurvedic vitalizer for men- Shilajit Gold.
Final Words on The Erectile Dysfunction Causes And Treatment
Though it's more common in the elderly, Erectile Dysfunction is hitting the younger population as well. Thankfully, Ayurved can offer an effective, safe, and sustainable solution to the erection problem. Resorting these natural erectile dysfunction remedies can help you last longer in bed and enjoy life to the fullest.
- India is "the impotence capital of the world", Published on 4 July, 2020, Outlookindia.com.
- Carrier S, Brock G, Kour NW, et al. Pathophysiology of erectile dysfunction. Urology. 1993;42:468–481.
- Bagde, A. & Sawant, Ranjeet. (2013). KLAIBYA (ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION)-A BIRD EYE VIEW THROUGH AYURVED AND MODERN SCIENCE. ) Vol.1.
- Saxena, Ashwin & Prakash, Pawan & Porwal,. (2012). Erectile dysfunction: A review and herbs used for its treatment. International Journal of Green Pharmacy. Vol 6. 109-117. 10.4103/0973-8258.102825.
- Nayak, Bichitra & Buttar, Harpal. (2016). Herbal therapy for men with erectile dysfunction. Current Research: Cardiology. 2. 10.4172/2368-0512.1000025.
- Kaur et al, Parasympathomimetic Effect of Shilajit Accounts for Relaxation of Rat Corpus Cavernosum, American Journal of Men’s Health 7(2).
- Eric Yarnell.Alternative and Complementary Therapies.Dec 2015.276-283.http://doi.org/10.1089/act.2015.29029.eya
- Do, Jungmo & Choi, Seemin & Choi, Jaehwi & Hyun, Jae. (2013). Effects and Mechanism of Action of a Tribulus terrestris Extract on Penile Erection. Korean journal of urology. 54. 183-8. 10.4111/kju.2013.54.3.183.