Natural Remedies for Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Ulcer
by Dr. Surya Bhagwati on Jun 08, 2018
What is IBS?
Also known as Spastic Colon or Mucous Colitis, Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is an intestinal disorder, which can cause stomach aches, gas, diarrhea, and constipation. Today, there is no conclusive test to confirm IBS. However, your doctor will likely take a look at your medical history, conduct physical exams and other tests to rule out any other disorders with the same symptoms. IBS is a result of the irregularity or irritability in the movements of one’s small and large intestine. Other symptoms include; bloating, mucus in stool, nausea, headaches, depression, and fatigue. It is a common disorder, which affects women more than men, after the age of 20. The exact cause of IBS is not known yet. But, it is believed that being nervous, a feeling of frustration, anger, too much caffeine, and consumption of excess raw fruits, cruciferous vegetables, or dairy products can worsen the condition. However, there is effective Ulcer medicine, that can help you deal with IBS in a better manner and get some relief. Read on to know more.
Tips to deal with IBS and Ulcer:
- Exercising regularly can prevent stress and ease the bowel discomfort.
- Relaxation techniques can help reduce the symptoms of IBS.
- Eat food rich in fiber.
- Control the intake of dairy
- Make the right food choices. You will have to avoid; beans, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, alcohol, chocolate, coffee, and soda.
IBS or Ulcer treatment in Ayurved:
Yogurt is said to be an excellent treatment in Ayurved to control IBS because of the ‘live cultures’ present in it. Live cultures or probiotics are basically good bacteria. The bacteria provide a protective layer in the intestines, which will create the lactic acid, flushing out all the toxins from the body.
How to consume yogurt?
- You can consume yogurt as it is.
- You can drink yogurt smoothie every day, it is delicious and will provide relief from IBS.
- You can mix psyllium husks, known as isabgol in Hindi, to yogurt and consume in an hour before your meals. Do this every day until you notice an improvement. Psyllium husks or Isabgol is rich in fiber.
There are several IBS treatments and Indigestion medicine in Ayurved and, the most popular one is the use of ginger to treat IBS. Ginger is exceptional when it comes to getting rid of the gas and bloating. Consuming ginger can also reduce the inflammation of the intestines, thus, relaxing the muscles of the intestines.
How to consume ginger?
- Add a teaspoon of grated ginger in a cup of hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes. Strain the grated ginger and consume the liquid 2-3 times a day. You can also add some honey to make it taste better.
- You can also mix a teaspoon of grated ginger with honey and consume it as it is. Do this before you consume your meals to help with your digestion.
NOTE: People suffering from blood pressure should not opt for ginger; there are other alternative ayurvedic medicines that can be used.
Cabbage is an effective indigestion remedy, especially for people suffering from constipation. Why is it effective? Juice from a raw cabbage contains sulfur and chlorine. These elements help cleanse the mucous membranes and the intestinal tract of the stomach completely. The cabbage juice has a mild laxative quality to it. Thus, it makes the bowel movements softer and easier to pass through, without experiencing any pain. Also, it keeps the body hydrated.
How to consume cabbage juice?
- Take some raw cabbage, wash it and chop it into pieces.
- Juice it, using a mixer or a juicer to extract fresh cabbage juice.
- Drink half a glass at a time. You can drink this juice 3-4 times a day.
- If you experience constipation, drink it immediately.
NOTE: cabbage juice might lead to bloating and gas in some. So, consult your Ayurvedic physician before you try any Ayurvedic remedies mentioned here.
This is one of the most used indigestion medicine. Fennel seeds are said to relieve the spasms caused in the intestine and reduce the bloating effect. It can also help flush out the fat from the digestive system, reducing the production of mucus.
How to use fennel seeds for IBS?
- Take a cup of hot water and add a teaspoon of fennel seeds to it. Let it sit for 10 minutes, and then consume the liquid.
- Do this 2-3 times in a day.
Grahyavati is specially formulated to treat Grahavi, an ailment very similar to Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This IBS or Ulcer medicine also helps for other intestinal ailments such as Indigestion, Gastric Ulcers and Chronic Diarrhea amongst others.