5 Ayurvedic Herbs to Beat Premature Ejaculation & Improve Your Sex Life
by Dr. Surya Bhagwati on Sep 07, 2020
Men often boast about their skills in the sack, but doctors, sex therapists, and surveys paint quite a different picture. Contrary to what you’ve heard from friends and on porn sites, most men just last a couple of minutes. In fact the average duration of sex from the time of penetration to ejaculation is around 5 to 6 minutes. Of course, this being said it means that some men can last for as long as 40 minutes at the higher end, while some reach orgasm in just 30 seconds or less. Sex is less likely to be satisfactory or fulfilling when the duration is too short. So, if you can’t last for at least 5 minutes or would like to last longer, it would help to try some natural remedies. Ayurvedic herbs are notable in this regard and can work as powerful natural aids to help you last longer in bed.
5 Ayurvedic Herbs to Help You Last Longer
Premature ejaculation and the inability to maintain an erection and delay ejaculation were recognized as problematic in Ayurved. This is not a new condition and it is described in Ayurvedic texts as Shukragata vata. Ancient Ayurvedic physicians recognized the multi-faceted nature of the problem and understood that many factors could contribute to it. This includes mental health issues like stress, anxiety and depression, poor fitness and endurance levels, fatigue and low energy, as well as dosha imbalances. The treatments and herbs that they recommended to deal with the problem therefore work through a variety of mechanisms, addressing all of these underlying causes. This also means that if the cause is hard to establish, it would be best to use a polyherbal formulation that contains two or more of these herbs.
Yes, it may be the most popular herb among bodybuilders, but that is in a way linked to its benefits for reproductive and sexual health. The herb is regarded as a testosterone booster and also improves cardiovascular endurance. Both benefits can also help increase your ability to last in bed. Perhaps more important however is the herb’s adaptogenic effect. This is why it is described as a medhya rasayana and has often been prescribed as a remedy for premature ejaculation, among other sexual disorders. As male erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation are most often linked to anxiety and stress disorders, this makes ashwagandha extremely effective. Additionally, studies have found that Ashwagandha capsules can also boost sperm count and motility.
This may not be one of the most well-known Ayurvedic herbs, but it’s undoubtedly one of the most effective when dealing with premature ejaculation. If you want to last longer in bed, kapikacchu can certainly help, although its exact mechanism is not clearly understood. As per the Ayurvedic tradition, this benefit may be linked to its ability to balance and pacify vata dosha, although it is beneficial for all doshas. Human studies have shown that supplementation with the herb could lead to improvements in sperm count and motility, similar to ashwagandha. When it comes to increasing the duration of sex, the evidence is limited to animal studies. Researchers found that sex drive and time for ejaculation could be increased in rats with regular kapikacchu supplementation for at least 45 days.
Shilajit supplements are often marketed and sold as ‘sex power’ capsules and so on. While the ingredient doesn’t work like magic, it offers some incredible therapeutic benefits. It should also be noted that shilajit is not a herb, but is a natural organic ingredient. Similar to resin from trees, it is actually an exudate from Himalayan rocks. It is rich in therapeutic compounds and minerals, which give it wide ranging medicinal properties. It is most noted for its ability to boost vitality, vigor, virility, and strength. In other words, it relieves weakness and fatigue, boosting energy levels and endurance. This is important for maintaining longer duration of erections and sexual activity. The ability of Shilajit capsules to increase endurance has been supported by research, which also shows that it can raise testosterone and fertility levels.
4. Gotu Kola
Gotu kola is still used as a culinary herb in parts of South East Asia, but it is also highly valued for its medicinal potential. As is the case with many treatments for male dysfunction like premature ejaculation, the efficacy can vary depending on the underlying cause. Gotu kola is extremely effective for male sexual dysfunction, including erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation when they are a result of circulatory problems that cause impaired blood flow to the penis. Gotu kola is known to promote circulatory system health as it reduces venous pressure and strengthens the blood vessels. This will not only improve duration of sexual activity, but it also increases sensitivity and pleasure.
Gokshura is quickly growing in popularity across the world and is better known as tribulus terrestris. However, it has been used in Ayurved for millennia to boost brain function and treat a wide range of conditions including skin, liver, and kidney disease. Aside from detoxifying the body to restore normal functions, there are claims that it can improve sperm count and strengthen penile tissue for better sexual performance. While there is limited evidence to explain the mechanism of action, some research does show that supplementation may increase ejaculation time by about 30 seconds. Of course, the effectiveness can be less or more, depending on the reason for premature ejaculation. Studies show that gokshura supplementation can enhance Sexual performance in males in terms of arousal, libido, and erection strength.
Although the herbs listed above are some of the most notable, Ayurved has a lot more to offer. Herbs like brahmi, amlaki, jaiphal, and mandukaparni can also help, but it all depends on the blend of herbs being used. Most importantly, quit worrying about lasting longer if you and your partner are already happy with your sex lives. After all, worrying about your performance is a major cause of premature ejaculation!
- Mamidi, Prasad, and A B Thakar. “Efficacy of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera Dunal. Linn.) in the management of psychogenic erectile dysfunction.” Ayu vol. 32,3 (2011): 322-8. doi:10.4103/0974-8520.93907
- Ahmad, Mohammad Kaleem et al. “Withania somnifera improves semen quality by regulating reproductive hormone levels and oxidative stress in seminal plasma of infertile males.” Fertility and sterility vol. 94,3 (2010): 989-96. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2009.04.046
- Mahajan, Ghanashyam Keshav et al. “Efficacy of aphrodisiac plants towards improvement in semen quality and motility in infertile males.” Journal of complementary & integrative medicine vol. 9 Article 6. 17 Feb. 2012, doi:10.1515/1553-3840.1520
- Suresh, Sekar et al. “Dose- and time-dependent effects of ethanolic extract of Mucuna pruriens Linn. seed on sexual behaviour of normal male rats.” Journal of ethnopharmacology vol. 122,3 (2009): 497-501. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2009.01.032
- Biswas, T K et al. “Clinical evaluation of spermatogenic activity of processed Shilajit in oligospermia.” Andrologia vol. 42,1 (2010): 48-56. doi:10.1111/j.1439-0272.2009.00956.x
- Qinna, N et al. “A new herbal combination, Etana, for enhancing erectile function: an efficacy and safety study in animals.” International journal of impotence research vol. 21,5 (2009): 315-20. doi:10.1038/ijir.2009.18
- Singh, Surender et al. “Evaluation of the aphrodisiac activity of Tribulus terrestris Linn. in sexually sluggish male albino rats.” Journal of pharmacology & pharmacotherapeutics vol. 3,1 (2012): 43-7. doi:10.4103/0976-500X.92512
- Gandhi AJ, et al. “Herbs indicated in the management of infertility with special reference to vandhyatva and klaibya: A review.” World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences vol. 5.6 (2016): 599-608. doi: 10.20959/wjpps20166-6937