8 Ayurvedic Tips to Cope with Viral Outbreak
by Dr. Surya Bhagwati on Mar 25, 2020
Today, COVID 19 has resulted in an almost global lockdown. In the last decade, we have witnessed the outbreaks and epidemics of many infectious diseases. Unplanned urbanization and uncontrolled deforestation are some of the reasons that lead to increased human contact with animal carriers of viral infections. This is making us susceptible to novel or newer pathogens for which medicines and vaccines also take time to develop. Although each of these are unique, some of the symptoms can be fever, body ache, loss of appetite. While each of these outbreaks has led to different local, national and global effects, building immunity and keeping the body fit through this time is very important. In these situations, Ayurved can certainly offer a helping hand. Herb based Ayurvedic formulations are not only effective but they are also free from any unwanted side effects.
Although an ancient healthcare system, Ayurved focuses on strengthening the immune system to treat the early symptoms of the flu and virus. In situation like the world faces right now, using traditional methodologies and readily available natural remedies is very important. Along with measures to improve immunity, Ayurved prescribes the use of following methods to cope with viral infections :
1. Giloy: One of the most potent herbs of Ayurved has many therapeutic applications. It fights disease-causing microbes, relieves fever, and improves digestion. Take around 3 small pieces of Giloy stem, add two cups of water, boil and reduce it to quarter a cup. Filter and consume 15 ml twice a day before food adding a small quantity of honey.
2. Tulsi: This sacred herb is well known for its anti-viral action. Making a decoction of 5-6 fresh leaves of Tulsi and a small piece of Ginger and taking it 3-4 times a day helps to fight viral infections by boosting immunity.
3. Ginger: Ginger is one of the most trusted herbs when it comes to dealing with infections like cold. Taking a half cup of ginger tea mixed with 2-3 crushed garlic cloves could prove to be an effective remedy for getting rid of mucus from the respiratory system.
4. Herb Mixture 1: You can also combine these herbs to get maximum benefits. Take a small piece of Giloy, 5-6 fresh Tulsi leaves, ½ teaspoon ginger and 4-6 peppercorns of black pepper. Crush all of them together and make an herbal tea out of it. Mix a teaspoon of honey and drink it twice a day after food.
5. Herb Mixture 2: Another effective remedy is to mix 3 parts of cinnamon, 2 parts of ginger and a pinch of cardamom. Steep one teaspoon of this mixture in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes and after sufficient cooling add 1 teaspoon of honey before drinking.
6. Trikatu Churna: Take 5 grams of Trikatu Churna (powders of ginger, black pepper, long pepper) and add 3-5 leaves of Tulsi, grind them well and mix with 1 liter of water. Boil them together till it reduces to half of its volume. Drink the tonic in small portions throughout the day, as an excellent remedy for lung decongestion.
7. Manage Digestion: When you fall ill, digestion gets hampered. Taking easy to digest food like soups are useful in these situations. Add spices like black pepper, ginger to soups to maintain proper functioning of the digestive system. Drinking light vegetable soups are highly recommended during the flu-like situations to help in strengthening the digestion process in the body.
8. Ghee: Put some liquefied ghee (3 to 5 drops) in each nostril in the morning and evening. This helps lubricate the nasal passages and relieve the irritation and sneezing.
We are faced with a lockdown scenario and thus, going back to our roots is very important. The measures mentioned above are a few common ways that can be useful to prevent the onset of infections. Ayurved believes in prevention rather than cure and thus, it is always better to stop the progression of infectious disease at the earliest possible stage. Practicing personal hygiene and social distancing are easy means to achieve this. Moreover, increasing immunity by various means against these ailments is also required. Stay safe and stay at home.